It’s chilly and raining in Milan, and we all tend to get hungry during this climate. Since childhood I’ve been a dessert devotee and I have to admit Dolce* was probably my first love.
So, When it is gloomy outside and we’ve got nowhere to go and nothing to do, most of us tend to find the way to our kitchen, whether for a simple mid day snack or something extravagant.
When I saw the ladyfingers in the pantry, all I could think of was “Tiramisu”: a dessert popular throughout Italy and could be prepared easily.
All you need:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cups Mascarpone cheese
- Ladyfingers (Savoiardi biscuits/cookies)
- 1 1/2 cups espresso/strong coffee (you could add rum or brandy to the coffee)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
All you have to do:
- Beat yolks with sugar and vanilla until smooth and light yellow.
- Fold the mascarpone into yolk mixture and set aside.
- Dip ladyfingers in coffee and arrange of them in the bottom of a dish.
- Spread half the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Repeat with remaining ladyfingers and mascarpone.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Finally, Sprinkle with cocoa just before serving.
There you have a simple, mouthwatering desert. It gets better, the longer you leave it refrigerated
If it’s your first time, let me know once you’ve tried it.
Buon Appetito !
*(Dolce means dessert, sweet in Italian)